Monday 26 January 2009

The child’s view of separation

Six year old daughter: “I wish daddy wasn’t distressed [depressed]. I don’t like living here. I want to live in the old flat. We can watch Boomerang [satellite cartoon channel] on the tv there.”

Eight year old: “But that is just objects. It isn’t the most important thing…”

Me: “Well, you know you are going to see him at the contact centre. If that goes well, and he isn’t distressed, then maybe in the future you will get to spend time at his house.”

Six year old: “So, the contact centre, it’s going to be like a test in child caring?”

Eight year old: “Yes, an exam…”

Me: “Yes…if it goes well, and if you want to, then later on you will be able to spend time with him”

Six-year old: “Hmm, yes. He does need lessons.
When we used to go to his house, he used to go to sleep on the sofa.
I wanted to play hide and seek.
I tried pulling the duvet off him, but he wouldn’t play with me.
All we could do was watch Boomerang.”

Eight year old: “But will you come to the old flat? If you do, you will just start with him, chat, chat, chat….”

Me: “No, if you are going out with him, I will just say “hello” at the door and “bye, have a nice time”. No chat chat chat….”

No comments: